Thursday 22 October 2009

Dawn raids

"What's that noise mummy," said my son in the very early hours of this morning. "I'm scared."
"Eh, oh, nothing sweetie, just elephants."
"Elephants?"
"Eh? Elephants? Yes, elephants, no, not elephants, I'm dreaming, but it is nothing, that noise is just the lift maybe, go back to sleep. Everything is ok."

Sometime later we are having breakfast. We hear a heavy thud and the block vibrates. Another and again it vibrates. Three or four times, thud vibrate, thud vibrate...

"What's that mummy?"
"Let me just go outside."
"No mummy no!"
"It's ok, it's ok," and I step out in my totally oversized Virgin Atlantic pyjamas (swiped it off the plane when I was on a work junket years ago)

Two police cars, a police van and an ambulance are in the forecourt.

"What is it mummy?"
"Oh just the police."

My son leans over the balcony. "Why are they here?"
"I don't know, come on, come and finish your breakfast."

It turns out the "elephants" were three men and a woman banging on a door at 4 am this morning. Gleaned that info from a child in the lift. There was blood outside the lift, he said. Police were talking to everybody.

I bump into Mr Gray on my return from the school run. He doesn't know, it's still all very unclear but there was a stabbing and if it's the person he thinks it is then he's "really surprised."

"A man or a woman?" I ask. "Who did the stabbing?"

"A woman," he replies.

"What is it about women at the moment?" I say and tell him what I'm about to post to you, but of course, if you're reading in sequence, you have just read it.

No comments: