Friday 13 February 2009

Government blackmail and bully boy tactics

Camden council is auctioning over 500 of its street properties to the highest financial bidder. The council is doing this because the Government is blackmailing it. If Camden doesn't accept an ALMO (an Arms Length Management Organisation) whereby its properties are handed over to private initiatives, then the Government won't give it the £293 million it owes it for essential repairs to existing properties (the lifts would be a good start in my block, then again perhaps the plumbing should be looked at before we all drown in a fetid pool of stinking bleurgh). So yes, a home that I could live in with a secure tenancy and affordable rent, the homes that one of the other 17,000 people on the waiting list for a council flat could live in, are going under the hammer.

Apparantly it's been going on for some time. Someone I know has told me that the council has infact auctioned off, or sold, over 2000 properties. My source wouldn't go on the record for my Masters dissertation, he was afraid he'd lose his job within the council. Me though, what do I have to lose? The council is going to shove us in a hostel. So I can whistle while I work, whistle while I work, doop doop di doop doop doop, it isn't a fucking joke.

No comments: