Friday 27 February 2009

Street Wardens

As we walked back from the hairdresser's last night where my boy had his barnet snipped, there were police up walking around on the second floor. As I walked into the building, they walked out and being the curious kind of girl I am, I asked them why they'd come.

The two policemen walked away but the street wardens stayed and told me they couldn't say.
"Did you come about the knife incident on the 10 year old girl last week?" I asked.
"We've heard nothing about that," they answered.
"Someone put a knife to a girl's throat in that playground there. She gave a statement but because her little friend couldn't, the police said they can't do anything."
"Right, well we can look into it for you."
"Yes, please do. I'll talk to the mum, see if she'll talk to you, but quite honestly, what needed to happen for it not to be ignored?"

They offered to walk us up to our flat (as both lifts were out) and although I didn't feel a need they insisted. I'm quite glad we passed no-one on the way up but they now know where I live and said they'd post a leaflet through my door today with their details.

I saw Peggy this morning who said they promised to do that weeks ago around all the flats. I sometimes think I've got NAIVE stamped on my forehead. I really do know better, or at least I really ought to. We'll see.

No comments: