Monday 9 February 2009

The story, the very beginning.....

28th February 2005


Dear Tony Blair,
You have pledged to help each and every one of us. Please would you help me and my son?
Our landlord, the Greek Orthodox Church, is going to evict us from our home. Camden Council will not house us until the Church goes to court for repossession of its property. This could take months. The council will then put us into temporary accommodation - a hostel - for up to two years. Two years Mr Blair. I have asked that we be viewed as in temporary accommodation now, but no. Our 140 points - my son is worth just five - will be reduced when we hit the pavement. We stand no chance of successfully bidding for a flat in limbo. What then in hell?
Since my son was born in September 2002 I have been made redundant twice though technically once as the move was within the same company. The father of child handed me notice on the flat we shared the same week I lost my job in October 2003. After a long and difficult search the Church took in me and my son, aptly, the week before Christmas. The Church is an establishment that preaches the protection of vulnerable people. It has postponed the day of notice several times since September. Understandably it does not want to go to court. Quite simply it wants its property back. I do not want to go to court. Quite simply I want to take my son home.
Last month I was offered a job. I wanted this job. It paid well for few hours. The job centre advised I turn it down as I'd be worse off. So I languish in the benefits trap, unable to plan for my son, unable to move forward with my life, fearing our future.
I accept there is a housing shortage but there are plenty of empty properties. There are two in my street. I sent a begging letter to the owners, Circle Thirty Three Housing Association, of which Margaret Hodge is patron. I was urged to talk to my council. I have, I do, it closed my file two weeks ago, the case far from over.
I ask that my son and I be viewed independently. That an exception be made for us as exceptions have been made for others I have met, others I have heard of.
We stand before God and our country and ask for a stable, affordable home.
I didn't terminate my pregnancy Mr Blair, and amongst my wildest fears I never dreamt my decision would lead to this.
It is a thin blue line that separates the consummate professional from the guttersnipe. It is a thin blue line that separates Middle England from the Underworld. I do not wish my son to see the Underworld. I wish to return him to Middle England from whence I came.
I know you are a busy man Mr Blair. I would not ask your help if I didn't deem it necessary. Imagine you are God. Talk to your disciples. For my son. For his future.

Yours sincerely

Sue de Nim

No comments: