Monday 9 February 2009

The strength

A Chinese fortune-teller once told me to stop smoking, my heart was weak. He told me to stop drinking whisky (how do you know??), my liver wasn't strong enough. He looked at my face: "You are a good person." He looked at my ear: "You will have a son."

I was 14 when my parents sent me to boarding school. I reacted by having fun, lots of it. So much so that two years later Sister Headmistress said "You're a good person Susie but we can't control you, we're going to have to ask you to leave."

I chose to go to Shit School where a priest told me I was "working for the Devil". He said I'd been "sent by Satan" for chatting during Mass.

Sometime later I was fooling around before Night Prayers when the Deputy Head, a lay man, forbade me to go into the Church because, he said "God doesn't want you there." "Tell you personally did He?" I spat, then snuck in anyway.

So when I threw myself at the Bishop's mercy and asked to stay until the council housed us properly and he said: "We have no duty to care for you," (my son wasn't with me thank God)

Well, what can I say?

Good? Don't call me good.
The stigmum found a nut in the deep dark wood.
Can't go over it
Can't go under it
Oh no, I'll have to go through it

No comments: