Tuesday 30 June 2009

Contrasts on a sunny day

If I didn't have to go to a PA meeting later I would go to the pond. Yesterday I did, a day much like today. A warm, blue sky, grass and trees all shades of shining green. I would go and lie in the meadow of wild flowers and finish my book: Cormac McCarthy's The Road, which Ellie gave me for my birthday.
It's the tale of a father and son walking through burnt America, heading south to the coast with only a pistol with which to defend themselves. It's a desolate landscape, buildings looted and ravaged, trees once pregnant with life, now stumps in a grey ashen wilderness. Towns now just abandoned memories, everything once known, gone.
It's freezing cold as the father and his terrified, starving child, try to find food or a dry, safe place to sleep for the night, away from the road, where men who find them will kill them for whatever they've got, even the meat on their bones.
I'm half way through. It's emotionally heavy, it's heartbreaking, it's haunting, but it's beautifully written.
Suffice to say, I'm hoping for a happy ending.....

No comments: