Thursday 25 June 2009

Nought nice to bid on

It's Thursday, bidding day, so off I go and log in to the homeconnections site to see what's there. Quite a number of properties today, 9 in all. Three of them are housing association and the other six council owned towers. There's security of tenancy with the council so I never bid for housing associations. Council properties are cheaper too.

The name of the game is to bid for everything. I do not do this. I don't want to pull my son out of a very good school to go and live in an estate near Kings Cross. There's only one property near me, well, nearish me.

It's on the third floor. I've been reluctant to bid for anything above the second because of carrying the bike but this one does have a balcony so there is somewhere to keep it.

The location doesn't look pretty. It's a block on a main road, but then block on a main road is better than a block hidden in the midst of a large estate, even if it is noisy. It's not often I go out at night but I don't want to be scared out of my wits when I do and have to walk home. My son will have to do it one day.....

Papier Mache Towers is on the edge of an estate opposite where celebrities live in terraced houses. Sometimes if I get the 24 night bus I have to walk through the estate. I walk quickly, it's so quiet and I remain very aware of my surroundings, on high alert if you like. When one's been mugged in a public place and not heard screaming it alters the way one walks around.

I'm already 30th out of 62 bids for this 'maisonette' in the sky. By Monday I'll be 200 and something out of 400 and something. Tis a pointless exercise but it's what we all have to do.

Would you like to play this game?

No comments: