Tuesday 5 May 2009

Moving on and up

About a month ago the Council sent me its consultation document - Moving on and up, consultation on the future strategy for providing accommodation for homeless people.

Today I received a letter asking me to comment on it by May 15th.

It is nice of them to let me know their plans.

That "settled" accommodation does not mean "council flat" concerns me, obviously.
That leaving hostel rooms empty so that they might be sold off also concerns me greatly, for where will the homeless be placed when they turn up at the homeless person's unit with nowhere to go?
"Settled accommodation" means a private tenancy, which for many, is not settled at all (My experience, Hannah's, oh loads of people).

Smoke and mirrors I'm going to say. There are some of us who want to secure a foundation for our children and get off benefits, not keep bouncing them around living on what the Government believes is an adequate weekly minimum.

At the moment I'm better off on benefits. I want to be better off autonomous from the state. I want to be rich goddammit.

I shall ponder my response tomorrow. This evening I have homework to do.

No comments: