Tuesday 28 July 2009

Can I meet Mr Healey?

I wrote and sent a letter to Dobbie today asking if I can join him and the tenants when he goes to meet the Housing Minister about the council property sell off's. I hand wrote it and sent it recorded delivery, like I used to years ago. Back then my letters were full of religious imagery as I was being evicted by the church. "I've no Joseph to help me carry my load." That kind of stuff, vaguely cringey but also amusing when I look back and read them now.

I did go to see him once at his surgery but he wasn't there. Glenda was. I introduced myself and she said: "Oh, you're the girl and the church." I was abit taken aback. She didn't help me though: "There's no waiting list in Sheffield you know." No I didn't but that's not helpful.

I met Dobbie later, at the opening of a community centre in Kentish Town. He did know who I was yesterday. Yes, I'm still around...

The letter didn't ask for help. He's taking tenants with him, I am not a tenant yet. I've waited years watching my son slip down the waiting list. "Wouldn't you also be interested in what he (Healey) says to me?"

I've asked him to please consider it. I've asked him to please say yes.

I really do want to know what the Housing Minister thinks of children. What the Housing Minister thinks of mine. I didn't get to interview him for the research we did for the council about safeguarding children. This is different though. I can direct questions about valuing children using my own as an example. There is no passion like personal experience. I'd also be with other angry people. I'd be with Dobbie. I quoted his words about sell off's in my letter: "Like you, I take it very personally. Very very personally."

Dobbie said "fight". I hope he says yes. I've no energy left on my own.

No comments: