Tuesday 14 July 2009

Such is life

I contacted the National Union of Journalists last week after Mary told me they gave advice to journalist bloggers. They told me to call the freelance department and I didn't get round to it. Yesterday seemed like an opportune moment.

I needed some advice because the local paper said legally it could only publish my letter if I gave my full details. I told the man I didn't want to do this; they had the blog link. I was feeling abit vulnerable...

The man said: "I wouldn't think you have to give them your real name but I don't know the legalities of that." He suggested I get myself temporary membership and then I could ask any question I desired. He put me through to the temporary membership people.

I cancelled my full NUJ membership about 2 years after I was made redundant; when I realised I couldn't afford the subscription. When I did my journo course recently, our tutor suggested we get a student membership. I didn't do this. (I am apt to look into the future at the wrong things)

The lady on the phone was very nice. She said I needed to be earning to get a membership. "Oh," I said. "I may have a problem with that. The name I write under never wants to be paid. It'll upend the benefits."

She suggested I try and get paid for something, however little, I could earn better money later. The conversation was quite funny actually because I told her I'd called the Big Issue asking to do 'anything for nothing'. Given that in past I swore that I would never work for the media for free again, it was quite funny that now, as an ex professional, I was offering to, with little luck.

"They probably think you're a hoax," she said.
We both laughed at that.

No comments: