Thursday 9 July 2009

The point system

Points are the currency with which we bid for a flat. As a human being you are given points if you have a medical problem, addiction, a victim of violence or harrassment or have refugee status and if you have none of these problems, a human being with a child is given the same priority. When I didn't have a child, I didn't apply for housing. Council flats in my mind were for those who needed one. I didn't need one then, I do now.

According to policy, those with the highest points are shortlisted to view a property and he or she with the highest points, gets it. In theory.

In practice I am not alone in seeing someone get a flat with less points than me. I met Mohammed when I was researching hostel families for my masters. He said:

"A few weeks ago someone got a flat with 365 points, less than me, and I wasn't called to view. I ask downstairs "what is this?" and they say "people need it more than you do." (Laughs) Probably those people in temporary flat, I should get priority."

My last post I told you, 308 they got it for.

The council does what the council wants to do. It says its policies are "transparent". Yes, as transparent as a slab of iron.

No comments: