Sunday 5 July 2009

Interview with Camden's Chief Superintendent of Police

As part of our research on safeguarding children, Ceci, Pete and I interviewed Camden's Chief Superintendent of Police on Friday.
What a nice man!
I was quite taken aback if truth be told. I thought he'd be up his own bottom. But no! He was laid back, dressed in his civvies not uniform, incredibly friendly, open and attentive.
The interview was meant to last 45 minutes but he let it carry on for well over an hour.
In my notebook I did write out an entire diatribe of what I'd post on this blog but as I like to write short posts I'll recount some of what he said over the course of this week.
One thing he said though was that people don't trust the police so I simply had to ask him "does the police trust people?"
He asked for an example and I gave the easiest at hand, the G20 demos. Well yes, compared to the Iranian police you are more gentle but.......
He admitted it was difficult, "people don't have 'criminal' tattoed on their foreheads."
Yes, my point, trusssssssssssssssssssst.
Like I said, I liked him, nice man. Do I trust him? He asked us that. I said "it depends where I am." In the interview I did and well, we were council volunteers asking about safeguarding children weren't we, though I'd like to imagine he's always that candid.

No comments: