Friday 3 September 2010

Backing up my son's letter

Papier Mache Tower
London
SOS1 2OK?

28 Aug 2010

Dear David Cameron,

I did not tell my son to write to you; it was his idea. I did not tell him what to write, only to do so from his heart.
“We don’t need three bedrooms!” I laughed.
“For our friends mummy and maybe a little brother one day.”
My son has shared a room with me for over six years. This is his third eviction. I can’t tell him where we are going but he knows our options.
Coincidently, the day he chose to write to you was the same day we got a response from A Woman saying you couldn’t meet me.
Fortunately/unfortunately, we are still at the same address. The lease has ended but the bailiff’s order hasn’t arrived. I do not expect you to understand the horror of a situation such as this. I’ve been told to contact the “emergency desk” when the order arrives even though I’ve been bidding weekly for six years for a secure, affordable flat. We are not, we should not be, an “emergency”.
A Woman told me to contact [the Minister for Housing]. I would love to do this but I do not know what forwarding address to give him. If [A Woman], with your blessing, could ask [the MP] to call me on 1234 to arrange a meeting as soon as possible, I would be very grateful.
Congratulations to you and Mrs Cameron following the birth of your daughter Florence. I wish your family all the best.
I am fond of saying my child could be any child but you and I live in different societies Mr Cameron and I need you to see mine.

Yours sincerely,

Sue de Nim

No comments: