Monday 13 September 2010

Playground gossip?

Oh I know I swore (did I swear?) that I would never mention Ugly again but today I can't help it.

Little A, one of my son's three best friends came up to me and said: "My mummy wants to know if you've moved."

Why does your mummy want to know, was my thought though I said "No, not yet."

Now his mummy wasn't there, and nor was his daddy but still I wanted to laugh. I wanted to laugh because I have no relationship with his parents because for many years now, they've had none with me. Sad but true. Sad because what little I knew of his parents, they were quite decent folk.

His mummy gets on very well with Ugly, his daddy I don't know, he trawls in last minute like me usually but I imagine he does. We talk small occasionally he and I but if I ever mention something funny about his child, he flinches as though I'm going to accuse the little boy about something.

I barely care what happened in Reception now but I haven't forgotten or forgiven Ugly telling me my son was a liar, telling me to pull him out of the school, whispering all manner of shit into A's parents ears until neither of them would talk to me. Neither of them ever invited my son to play with theirs again, both of them would always make an excuse if my son went up to them asking if A could come and play. It was very painful for my son and what is painful for my son is painful for me.

Yes, so makes me think the parents of my son's two best friends are gossiping about me.

It makes me want to laugh.

I maintain that A's parents are decent people. Ugly is still Ugly though. Roald Dahl wrote an excellent description of her in The Twits.

This is the very last time I will mention her. I can't be bothered ya know, and her child, well he's my son's best friend. I can quietly feel sorrow for what she's done and tried to do to them both but know these two boys are above all of it and have their time in school hours to hang out and have fun.

My son's making his party invites tonight. "Who do you want to invite?" I asked.
"R, K, A, L and L," he answered without drawing breath.

K and A didn't come last year. My son was invited to theirs though, and duly went.

Funny isn't it, how these parties are never about or for the parents but it's always up to them.

Now, how the hell am I going to fill two hours? I want this to be a party my little boy will always remember and one where the children all have a blast.

It's a D.I.S.C.O

Give me D desirable
Give me I incredible
Give me S super special
Give me C crazy crazy
Give me O oh ohhhhh!

D.I.S.C.O!!!!
(Ottowan featuring Stigmum)

No comments: