Monday 20 September 2010

Can I change political policy?

My ward councillor was holding a "surgery" on Saturday and given the local political change from Blue to Red, I thought I'd drag my son and go.
A disabled man was waiting with me and as we waited and waited unsure of whether this guy would show up, I told the disabled man that I'd write a letter to the local paper entitled "bad week in politics" if he didn't.
Fortunately he did eventually turn up. I say fortunately because I don't want to slag him off in the press. I met him once at a roof party; he knows my friend Steve. I didn't mention this to him when I saw him, simply because I didn't think it would make any difference to my situation.

"Hello, what's your name? What can I do for you?" he said.
"You know of me," I replied. "I left a story for you behind the bar at the Dublin Castle."
"Oh yes," he said. "A bit long wasn't it..."
"I sent a copy to Cameron too, and Clegg and one to Dobbie. I told him to use it."
He raised his eyebrows, our conversation began.

He said he'd look into my case because he didn't understand the three way leases. I know he'll come back saying all is as it should be. I told him I'd gone through all of this before. I pulled out my CNJ article.

"This is about policy," I said. "Who is responsible for changing policy? I've written to the PM, he told me to contact the Minister for Housing. How do I go about changing it?"

"We the council are responsible for policy."

That, reader, was news to me. People in the housing division told me it's government policy in the days when I'd call up and also must have that on an email somewhere.

He took my article away with him "because it's about policy."

This is good, this is positive stuff, but I can't rest on that. The policy needs to change before the bailiff's order so my child can be the first to benefit from it and then everybody else.

The two things I want changing?
No caps on children. Currently only the under 5's are prioritised.
Extra points for statutorily homeless who are evicted or overcrowded.

Not asking much, is it?

The Minister for Housing needs to receive a letter from me. Also need to buy birthday presents and plan a party. Oh so much to do, so little time.

I try, oh my god do I try
I try all the time, in this institution
And I pray, oh my god do I pray
I pray every single day
For a revolution
(4 Non Blondes.. Make that 5... and it's been six years, not twenty five. OK, maybe 200 years.. it feels like forever...)

No comments: