Monday 16 March 2009

Choices

Honey has discovered she's pregnant by her son's godfather. He is married with a daughter. She does not wish to be pregnant but does not believe in abortion.

Today she told me she'd decided to move into Private Rented Accommodation. She said she feels selfish forcing her son to live in a cramped room. She said she needs somewhere with a bath as her boy has severe eczema and has to be soaked twice a day.

When she said she was thinking of moving outside the borough I said: "You are aware you'll lose your residency points after one year and you'll no longer be Camden's concern?"

I remember when I was pregnant and the Foca and I were looking for somewhere to live. I wanted somewhere with a bath, he said a baby didn't need one. I said a baby did, a toddler did, a bath was a space where a child could play. His sister in law backed him, her husband, his brother, backed me. We moved into their flat-with-bath as they were relocating to America. Foca was my landlord.

Both rooms in England's Lane that I was shown and those I later visited for my thesis research, didn't have a bath. In many hostel rooms there is no space to play. That's one reason they are not suitable for children, no matter what the policy dictates.

So Honey may move. Minnie's staying for now. "It's swapping secure accommodation for insecure accommodation, why would I do that?"

Don't ask me Minnie, don't ask me.

No comments: