Monday 16 March 2009

Melting pots

We are two facilitators and 14 parents doing the participatory appraisal training. What I love about it is the ancestory in the room. In the pot you'll find America, the Bahamas, Bangladesh, England, France, Jamaica, Mauritius, Nepal, Portugal, Scotland, Somalia, Syria and Uganda.

Some are parents born and bred in London.
Others are born and bred in the UK.
Some are not born here but bred.
Some neither born nor bred.

For me this is England.
I got culture shock when I went to visit my friend Emma in Hertford and all the workers in Sainsbury's were white. I couldn't stop staring. It seemed like another country.
I won't be voting BNP anytime soon, ever in fact. This despite the housing crisis I am caught in, despite the jealousy I sometimes feel towards those who go before me.
Jealousy is not one of the seven deadly sins. We are all entitled to a decent home.

No comments: