Friday 27 March 2009

What do you suggest I do taxpayers?

Council support worker came round bringing with him his manager. She was open faced and friendly enough but I knew why she was there - to hit the council's target of reducing homelessness.

She said my flat was too small, a health and safety risk and a fire hazard.
Sure, move me then.
Usual dribble of few council properties left, my position on the waiting list, my low number of points.
A private rental property on the other hand would be bigger, as we are very cramped where we are now and my son needs space to play, she said. I could move and bid from there and with 'extra' points, be in a stronger position to do so.

Hang on, I thought you said there were very few properties, and there are 18000 people currently on the list. How would I be in a stronger position? There are only 1500 families on the "homeless" register. Only 30 families whose leases expire with the housing associations. House the 30 who are having their lives upturned again.

"I've told you. I want to stop moving my son around, I want a secure tenancy, I want affordable rent in order to go back to work."

"You'll get housing benefit," she smiled.

"So the taxpayer picks up the cost, even if I'm working?"

"Give it a chance," she said. "Come and look at one. I've got a flat, the address is in the office, tell me you're interested now or it might be gone when I get back."

What is this? A new tactic? If I don't take the 'private' flat they find for me I have to find one myself? I've written about how hard that is in my 'book that will never be published'. She's not talking of a council property, which is why I don't jump and gush "oh wow thank you, yes yes YES!".

She offers no satisfactory answers to my questions. The reason, for example, that I have fallen down the list is because new entrants have come in above me.
Why??? What's this 'time waiting' all about if new entrants can come above me?
"They obviously have different needs."
What 'needs' do I need to have?

Towards the end of the meeting she asks if I'm a British Citizen. I laugh. "Yes, but I've not lived in Camden a long long time. Perhaps I should have made an application for asylum" (I am an immigrant from another borough as well she knows if she looks at my 'notes')

"You're clearly intelligent and frustrated," she says. "Think about the private sector."

"And be back at square one, on the list with 18000 others, the threat of facing homelessness again a reality and exceptionally high rent in the mean time."

It's good news for the private landlord but you're paying for it taxpayer. What do you suggest I do?

No comments: