Wednesday 4 March 2009

The cost of collapsing arrangements

The lease arrangements between Camden and Pathmeads are terminating next year because they are too expensive to maintain. This is what the girl from the council told me on Saturday and the girl from Pathmeads told me today.

My rent on this one bed is £225 a week. The landlady gets £180 a week she tells me, Pathmeads increases it by £45 to cover 'costs'. The taxpayer pays the full £225 because I can't afford to.
A room in a hostel costs over £300 a week plus 'costs'.
Private rented accommodation would cost the benefits office £265 a week for a two-bed, minimum

Yes, a room in a hostel, 3msq by 4msq costs over £300 a week. Hannah's studio on the top floor of the hostel where she lived with her four kids and husband cost over £400 a week. It was no penthouse my friends. The walls were scabby, the floor was stained, a double bed was in the kitchen where two children slept with mum and dad, right next to the cooker ( health and safety issue? Nah!) The two older boys in an alcove in the corridor. £400 for such splendour!

They're in temporary now, like me. I must call her.

No comments: