Monday 16 March 2009

Voices of others

Molly, in hostel accommodation for six years, two children:
If you come from abroad you get the privileges, the people that are born here, that's as far as the privilege goes. Immigrants are on the same level. White middle class people think they should be prioritised and that creates anger. I'm like "Why has she got more points than me?" It's wrong but it's how the situation makes you feel.

Matt, in hostel accommodation for one year, pregnant girlfriend and one daughter:
Because we're normal, can go to the shops, can maintain our house yeah, we're left on the side because we can manage. So the government prioritise crack heads, mental people, people with issues, someone who harms themselves quicker than I would yeah. Why would someone who harms themselves need a flat? They do even worse; they've got their place, there's no rules, no supervision. The justice system's upside down.

Mohammed, in hostel accommodation two years, then temporary flat for one year, then hostel another two with wife and two children
A few weeks ago someone got a flat with 365 points, less than me, and I wasn't called to view. I ask downstairs "What is this?" and they say "people need it more than you do"... Probably those people in temporary flat. I should get priority.

They are not alone in thinking what they think. It's noisy down here

No comments: