Friday 13 January 2012

The new "affordable" social housing

I figured while I'm already down, I may as well go into to bid for properties, seeing as I usually can't do it as it drops my mood into a big black hole.

I bid on three out of ten (Lucky bids on all of them and with her 900 + points has turned down all the properties she's been shortlisted for apart from the garden properties where she's been number 2 or 3 on the list so has missed out. I tend to bid for what I don't want to turn down, though in truth, I wouldn't want to live on any of the estates I bid on today. Still, my post isn't about that, so onward...)

I had a glimpse at one bed properties (because I've been advised to bid on one of those...oh don't make me angrier...) and well, I was quite surprised:

1 bedroom affordable rent flat on a small estate. Comprising one good size double bedroom, living room with period feature windows, fully fitted kitchen and bathroom with white suite. 4th floor. No lift. Full central heating. The estate is only a few minutes walk from Russell Square tube station and numerous buses. The successful candidate will benefit from an initial 1 year Introductory AST tenancy and on successful completion of their tenancy conditions, they will be issued with a 5 year fixed term AST tenancy. The rental charge for this property is £226.00 per week which equates to approximately £979.33 per month. Ward: King’s Cross. Approx rent: £226 pw. (Housing Association) "Affordable" ?

Compared to:

1 bedroom flat (single) on an individual block. Open plan living room and kitchen. 1st floor with lift access. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate a strong tie to the Covent Garden area. Sensitive Let. Housing Co-operative. Council Tax Band: D. Ward: Holborn and Covent Garden. Approx rent: £87 pw.

1 bedroom flat (double) in an individual block. 3rd floor with lift access and 1 external step. District heating. Landlord: Camden Council. Council Tax Band: D.
District: Holborn. Ward: Bloomsbury. Approx rent: £126 pw.

or
1 bedroom flat (double) on a large estate. 3rd floor with lift access. Full central heating. Sensitive Let.Landlord: Camden Council. Council Tax Band: B.
District: Holborn. Ward: King’s Cross. Approx rent: £95 pw

Compared to:
2 bedroom flat (1 double 1 single) in an individual block.
4th floor with 36 external steps. Lift access. No adaptations.
No right to acquire. No Pets. Electric storage heating.
Landlord: (Housing Association). Ward: Holborn and Covent Garden. Approx rent: £145 pw.

or what I bid on

2 bedroom flat (doubles) on a small estate. 3rd floor with lift access. District heating. Landlord: Camden Council. Council Tax Band: B. District: Kentish Town. Ward: Kentish Town.
Approx rent: £121 pw.

Watch all rents and all tenancies shoot up to that first one I listed, which touts itself as 'affordable' at £226 per week.

That word "affordable"...I think it's being written out of the dictionary, same with the word "secure"

The fight's not over. I hope I'm wrong.

(and a quick maths test for you... on two I bid for I'm 60th out of 230 and on the third 64th out of 221...work it out!)

No comments: