Friday 25 June 2010

"Get the Social Worker on your side"

I chat to a couple of mums in the playground. I tell them I'm going to a gig in Hyde Park tonight, it's all very great. I told them that I had an idea and that's how it came about. One of them laughed and said: "You've always got ideas, what one is it now?!"

I tell them my idea might not be so great after all for I have a social worker coming to my flat on Monday.

I can't tell you the tight feeling in my chest over this. I'll tidy up but she'll come round and see clutter. She'll go into our bedroom and see the curtain rail's broken. She'll see his cotbed and I'll tell her I don't allow him to sleep in my bed but he does anyway. She'll feel the jutting out springs of my mattress. When she leaves the door lock will fall out of its frame, the way it did when the Support Manager came and promptly dialed the social services.

What is she doing to her child? Why is she letting him live like this? She's not putting him first. She can't look after him properly.

Last year a Support Manager came to my flat, told me it was a health and safety issue, told me I was a danger to my child and went and told her managers I shouldn't be given a council flat because I don't know how to look after one.

"Social workers are supposed to be there to help you," said the other mum who has heard many stories herself. "Try and get them on your side."

Meanwhile the other mum who'd laughed, got angry: "What right have they got to come into your home and say that it's messy? It's none of their fuckin' business. That's not on, that's not on."

I shook my head. "I know, but it's what they do."

"Try not to worry, use the them to help you, they might be able to you know, just get them on your side," said the mamma with the three boys. "And enjoy the gig tonight! That will be fun!"

On a light note we parted. I need advice. It's timely I will get some this evening. Social workers were never part of my plan. Does this mean I put my plan on the back burner?

I'll keep you posted, heh heh....

No comments: