Wednesday 30 June 2010

P = Publishing my response to emails

Friday 25th June. I was going to post these letters on Sunday but me and stiggers were in no mood after what happened to Tony.

Dear [Allocations],

Thank you for your email. It was kind of [the Estate Manager] to speak to me but he didn't do so as he was conducting the viewing. I waited until everyone had gone and he was locking the door, so the other families would not hear what I had to say and I wouldn't embarrass him. I had spoken to some of these families earlier. They asked me no questions other than: "What is it like to live here?" To which I answered: "There's a nice view" and "I don't know whether my child will be safe living on the 6th floor. Do you think it will be alright?" to which I answered: "Is there a flat going on the sixth floor aswell?" to which the mother said: "This is the sixth floor." I tried to laugh at my own stupidity but it's just not funny any more. [The Estate Manager] arrived and I stayed quiet until they'd gone.

How is it fair though? 100 points for statutory homelessness is only insufficient if those homeless at home families or transfer families are getting more.What I find wholly insufficient is that we cannot get extra points for insecurity or impending homelessness because technically we are already homeless. I also find it wholly insufficient that my child is not prioritised because he is seven years old. Too old for a permanent, secure place to live?

[The Support Manager] also told me I'll be getting a new homeless household support worker. There's no continuity of care anymore. This new person will not know my case. [The Support Manager] did not even know I was being evicted. Another person to come round and see me cry and not be able to do anything about it? Case workers helped one of the families I spoke to. My "caseworkers" haven't been able to help my family at all.

My son's life. My son's school. My son's future. Please minimise what this situation is doing to him because it is him this system is leaving behind. It is on his behalf that I write and write and write to you. Thanks again for getting back to me.

Kind regards

Sue de Nim

2 comments:

Jennysmith said...

Good and powerful points, Stig, keep us posted xx

Stigmum said...

Oh thanks so much Jen, crazy mental day, emotions all over the place which I'll post later. Heading into an eye of the storm I've got to keep a level head and it's so good to know you're here for me!! (You deserve a big badge cos stiggers is hardly happy clappy and housing is so boring a subject! Still, I'm doing something about it and I mustn't knock myself too much for that!)