Friday 29 April 2011

Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson, £2.99 with The Times.

I don't actually need an introduction to Kate Atkinson, for she's one of my favourite authors!

Twas a joy to read this one though as I haven't read one of hers for ages! I turn the pages and I smile thinking she's so clever!!

This detective tale wasn't the huge departure from the mum and children books I've read recently that I thought it would be but it served to remind me just how brilliant she is with sensitive matter.

She builds her characters with such wit! This story weaves three tales. Security Chief Tracy Woodhouse buys something one morning, an aging actress with dementia sees something, detective Jackson Brodie acquires something. How these are bought together in such a feast of narrative is something you should experience for yourself!

It's a great Easter read when the news is talking deaths in Syria, Libya, riots in Bristol and your own family is whistling from the various tensions of their own individual lives.

Like I said, Kate Atkinson's really clever!!

Her comic style also reminds me of Smoking Mum's (who I've promised to buy (full price!) the book she's writing when I see it in the bookshop!)

No comments: