Monday 9 August 2010

"I am on the cusp of greatness!"

The Torriano Pub, on Torriano Avenue, Kentish Town is a great pub.

I first went there a couple of years ago with friends. I was chatting to a writer at the bar who said to me: "I am on the cusp of greatness!"

I started sniggering as a friend piped up: "We're all on the cusp of greatness mate!"

It was a brilliant evening. I hadn't been back until last week when I went twice.

Last Monday I'd texted The Ed and said I owed him a drink for publishing my article. That is where we went. I met the landlady, I met the regulars. We'd only intended to stay for one, we stayed all night, sitting on bench outside, all of us, putting the world to rights.

As I got up to leave, the landlady said there was white feather beneath where I was sitting. "The angels are with you!" she said. Well you can only imagine the warm fuzz that enveloped my soul.

On saturday two bands were playing gigs there. I wanted to go but not on my own. I emailed the landlady, asking if I did so, would I be a muppet?! I switched off my computer. What a silly thing for me to do. She'd only say 'of course not!'

By some beautiful coincidence, a fellow stigmum called me in the afternoon saying she had a spontaneous evening off. Did I have any plans?

Oh yes!!!

You remember Cheers? That American sitcom? The Torriano is like that; a place where everybody knows your name. It's very home from home with delicious bar snacks. They're doing barbeques all summer. Their halloumi and feta salad. Yum yum yum!

The Torriano is under threat. Developers have bought it and want to turn it into luxury flats.

Never mind the need for housing, communities need a pub to go to, especially a pub like this one where apparently a lot of single women go and can be found with their laptops, particularly during the day.

SAVE THE TORRIANO! It's a massive campaign with some big celebrity names behind it.

Pete Doherty, of Babyshambles fame (or was it going out with Kate Moss fame?) played a set there the other month in support of the pub.

If ever you're passing through London, pop in, you won't regret it!

No comments: