Wednesday 4 August 2010

Secure tenancies abolished by the Blues

"Have u seen the front page of the Guardian." A text from my support worker at 8.45 am this morning.

In that early morning fog I was scared something had happened to my son. I switched on my computer, accessed the paper's website. In a way, I guess it has.

Cameron: no more council homes for life
Lifetime tenancies to be replaced by short-term contracts based on need.

It makes grim reading. If I manage to get a council flat for my son, he will face another eviction if I earn a little too much. We will be sent back to the private sector, where there are caps on housing benefit never mind short term leases. A cyclical life time of poverty will be the hallmark of his childhood with me. The hallmark for thousands upon thousands of families.

Dave says the deficit is a "moral issue" and when the economy recovers, money will not be pumped back into our public services, the fire service being the one mentioned in the article.

I left a comment on the website:

I thought, oh how foolishly, that Cameron had a real opportunity to heal this country. I wrote to him, I wrote to clegg, I got down on my knees. I've received my answer. My country will break and bleed beneath me. The people will scream but will they be heard?

It's like he's got a metal rod and hit me behind the legs and now he's going to finish me off by whacking it on my back.

Not just me.....

I believed in you Dave just like I did the Foca

No comments: