Monday 9 August 2010

Today I send my letter to the Courts

My brother is a corporate lawyer, well, some kind of lawyer, not a housing lawyer or a family law lawyer. My brother doesn't live in England.

My brother has never been able to help me with housing, for I did ask him when the church evicted me and my son.

Last week he came to England to spend a few days with my parents. After I'd written my letter to Brighton Family Courts on Thursday, I sent it to my mum. Could big bro have a look at it before I sent it? Lawyers all speak the same language after all don't they? Could he clean it up?

I got it back last night. It's brilliant!

I'd written:
In theory, particularly in terms of my son’s best interests regarding health and safety, I consent to his father,[the Foca], having parental responsibility.
In practice I do not consent and as such will not be present at the court hearing on August 17th 2010.
The proceedings can take place without me.

With great tweaking, the new improved version begins like this:

In terms of my son's best interest (in particular his health and safety) I consent to his father, [the Foca], having parental responsibility and I accordingly shall not be present at the hearing.

However, it would be remiss of me if I did not set out my reservations as to the timing of this application.

Isn't that great?!! He's left blanks for me to put in dates. Outlined in much less emotive terms how he handed us notice and the fact I've never denied the foca access.

(v) To all intents and purposes [Foca] has been exercising full parental responsibility over [child]

On his application, the Foca wrote:

"[Son's] mother has refused to consider making a parental responsibility agreement and I believe that our son would benefit from having two parents with Parental Responsibility the same as any child of separated parents. Our child should not be disadvantaged because his mother and I were not married.
It would be better for our son if I had parental responsibility as it would facillitate my support in everyday situations and also since it would allow me to act promptly as may be required in a contingency."

Contingency? What the fuck's that?

Oh my bro.
The new improved version safeguards me in the future. If I need to apply to the courts for residency (as family lawyer told me last week), I can just produce this letter. It also means that I can tick the consent and not consent box on the form I have to return.

Thank you, thank you, thank you SO MUCH

Now to stand and repeat after myself with full knowledge of what the Foca's like:

I am strong
I am strong
I am strong

No comments: