Saturday 28 August 2010

Dave: 41p. Me: £5.05

Downing Street sent its letter on August 26th. I received it yesterday, August 27th. Price of first class stamp 41p. It's stamped of course by a machine and there's 10 Downing Street on the back which might mean something special. Hence proper First Class Delivery.

For mere mortals like me, first class stamps don't ensure next day delivery. With my letters to way up there, I usually pay £1.40 so it gets signed for. They tell me it doesn't guarantee next day delivery, but it does guarantee delivery.
To ensure next day delivery, they encourage me always to send it 'special delivery' which does guarantee next day delivery. The bloody thing costs over a fiver.

It's a bank holiday. I wanted to my son's letter to get there on Tuesday. I thought sod the price of a special delivery, this is a special delivery.

Only it's not going to get there until Wednesday because today's post to arrive Tuesday left at 12. I was still handwriting the thing then.

Just doing 'signed for' might have landed on the Downing Street mat on the same day but it might have landed there on Thursday. Some risks I don't want to take.

Why the hurry why the hurry?

My letter needs to beat the bailiff's order. I've asked Dave to ask A Woman to ask the Minister of State for Housing (sounds so Harry Potter) to call me ASAP.

He needs to beat the bailiff's order too.

Wind wind, carry my son's dreams,
deliver them with mine
so we can live ever after
never begging
never pleading
never facing eviction
again

Thank You

2 comments:

Jean said...

Good luck, I'm really praying things turn out ok for you. x

Stigmum said...

Thankyou so much. Take good care of yourself and I'll come read you soon xxx