Monday 8 November 2010

Credit where credit's due

My response to an email Allocations sent me on Friday:

Dear [Allocations],
Yes, I have accepted the move to [Attic Flat]. If I hadn't my son and I would have been sent to [HRM Hostel] and I was so tired of being threatened with a move to a hostel. I can't help feeling the policies discriminated me and my son, especially as I've seen numerous families get housed with many more points than us who have waited much less time.

I'd like your assurance really, that never ever again do my son and I go through this. His third eviction is enough I think for one childhood. I personally do not deal with it very well. Earlier today for example, following the stresses of the past few months, I was unable to start packing in anticipation of the move but instead lay shivering fully clothed under a blanket all afternoon before picking him up from school. Relief, relief that it's all over for now. I also need assurances my points won't be reduced as they were in 2005. I hope not, I have so few as it is.

We are very, very lucky with the flat we've been given and I'm grateful to the council and [the Housing Association] for that. There's even space for our bikes and you know how much that means to me!

I did ask how much the rent was but [Manager] and [Housing Officer] didn't know. Either way, I have to find work and I have to keep bidding. I was hoping I'd never have to do the latter again. I may leave it a while before I start again, I find it very hard.

Thanks for leaving yourself available to me should I need to contact you again. I hope the tenancy goes well with [the Housing Association] this time round (I became quite reliant on the property owner for repairs so quite a blow when she wouldn't let us stay here)

Thanks again for the flat. It took my son 10 minutes to cycle to school this morning and should we ever need to walk there, it's not far. I really can't thank you enough for that.

Kind regards

Sue de Nim

No comments: