Monday 8 November 2010

Discriminatory policies

In a nutshell, in the allocations system you fall into Group A or Group B.
Those accepted as homeless fall into Group B.
When we were evicted from the church property my son and I were Group A so we got insecurity points
When we evicted from here my son and I were Group B so we didn't.

I knew this. I did my masters thesis on this.

There is no space for self recrimination but I'll say this now, knowing so clearly what I do.

I am glad I am still "statutorily homeless" and not in the private sector, even though the points system would reward me better in the private sector should we be evicted again.

I'm glad I think because I'm hoping. I still trust the state as landlord above all others. I am hoping that in two years time all the leases on the flat we've been placed in will be renewed. It will be if the council and the housing association renew theirs and the housing association and the property owner renew theirs. I will write to them and ask them that they do.

No more evictions, please. My son and I have been given a good space to wait. In this sense, we are extraordinarily lucky. Let us quietly accrue the points we need until the next move is our choice.

Yes, it costs the council, it costs the taxpayer, it costs me.

The answer is more affordable housing. It's that simple.

No comments: