Thursday 4 November 2010

"Keep bidding" forever....

"It's not an ultimatum," new support worker told me yesterday. "You can keep bidding."

Ok, I just have done, a two bed, £110 a week.

If I turn down the temporary flat I've been offered will I get this flat?

Of course I won't.

How do I know?

Because I've been bidding weekly for at least the two years you have known me and I've got jack shit.

Even a "pressing need" can't get me a council flat. "Pressing need" is how the council identified to me those who have been housed and have waited a mere six months.

So the temporary offer is an ultimatum, the alternative is a hostel. Would I have a "pressing need" from there? Sure I would, but I would be moved to alternative temporary or the private sector. That is what has happened to some I have met.

If my family is going to be bounced around through this system the best I can hope for is somewhere my child has his own room.

I cannot risk turning down the flat I have been offered, not even on the grounds of "expensive and insecure"

If in the future I still want "affordable and secure" I will have to "keep bidding" for it. If I want to avoid another eviction I have to "keep bidding" for it.

Twenty three months I have taken you on this journey to eviction. I really hoped I could give you a happy and hopeful ending. No-one can say I haven't tried.

You know how it ends now

No comments: