Wednesday 10 November 2010

Observer(ing) The Sunday Times

Reading the papers you really get to see who understands you and who doesn't.
Take the weekend papers, front page headline both:

Workshy to lose benefits - The Sunday Times
Jobless told: do unpaid work or lose your benefits - The Observer

According to The Sunday Times, I am one of the "layabouts who have become so dependent on benefits that they do not know how to work [and] are to be forced to take jobs or be stripped of their benefits."

This short, eight paragraph article really wound me up because it's very last paragraph states:
"The UK has one of the highest rates of workless households in Europe with 1.9m children living in homes where nobody has a job. A total of 1.4m people have been on unemployment benefit for nine out of the past ten years."

I know a ton of "workless" mothers who volunteer, so how can they say that 'nobody has a job'? And anyway, parenting is a job, the more children you have the tougher it is I'm guessing.

The Observer, in contrast, not only continued its article 'on page 7' where it acknowledges that actually finding work is a considerable challenge but also investigates "Britain's new welfare state' inside the paper (which I've yet to read so I'm going to pack it and read it in the new flat). It made no judgement that we are workshy or layabouts because the majority of us aren't.

What really wound me up about their article was: "The Department for Work and Pensions plans to contract private providers to organise placements with charities, voluntary organisations and companies."

In short, I could be forced to go and work for a private company but you, the tax payer, earning not very much yourself,will pay the company to take me on and you the taxpayer will pay my wage.

Good news all round, don't you reckon?

No comments: