Monday 1 November 2010

I can't believe I'm laughing

A parent and a member of staff at my son's school asked me independently this morning how things were going in relation to my move. I told them I'd been told I wouldn't get the bailiff's order but nor was I going to be told anything. I laughed, they didn't.

Staff member was horrified and in the end suggested I get a private flat. "If they're going to treat you like that, get them to pay for it," she said.

"I could," I smiled, "but that wasn't much of an option before and now, with the cuts to housing benefit, it isn't one at all." Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha!

"It's disgraceful," she said. She still wasn't laughing.

Back at the Tower one of the pensioner sisters tells me a lease holder is selling his flat on one of the floors, she told me to phone the council and see if they are buying it back and whether I could move into it.

"It's a studio that one isn't it?" I asked when she told me which one it was.
"Yes but anything's better than where you are going,"
Where am I going? I have only time to think that when she says:
"And anyway, they've got plans to knock down this block, knock down everything from here to [there]. I've seen the plans. It's disgusting what they plan to do, be worse than New Delhi."

I start laughing again. Hundreds upon hundreds of adults and children are going to be made homeless. Take the problem out of my locality, thousands upon thousands of adults and children are going to be made homeless.

Meanwhile I can't help wondering what rent Cameron has set on his Notting Hill home while he and his family reside in Downing Street.

The cap doesn't fit, does it Dave?

You laughing too?

No comments: