Friday 23 April 2010

"Good morning mamma!"

My son woke up just as I hobbled into our room at 6am this morning. He sat up in bed and smiled, "good morning mamma!"

Oh my heart. It's that moment when you live in the present and it swells into your whole body. I'm so lucky to have this beautiful child.

"Why are you walking like that?"
"My leg hurts."
"Come into my bed next to me."
"I think I will, thank you sweetie, your mattress is much firmer than mine."
"Maybe your leg isn't used to doing exercise, that's why it hurts."
"Yeah! You're a bright boy!"
"And the springs stick out of your mattress because it was really springy to begin with."
"Yeah, I think you're right."
"I'm so sorry it's hurting you mummy. It's not my fault but I'm sorry."
"I know what you mean baby. Thank you." I hugged him to me, not wanting to let go of him.

He later saw my legs were dangling off the end so got out and put a blanket over them to "keep them warm". He said: "I'll look after you mummy. I can help you cross roads and things now."

He wasn't due to go with his dad this weekend as he was invited to two parties and we agreed to swap, but on Tuesday my son said to me he wanted to go, so I said yes. It was the original weekend anyway.

Hand in hand we walked to school, got there just as the bell rang, and in he ran with his backpack hanging off his shoulders. "Blow me a kiss at least!" I begged. He didn't, but he gave me one of his cheeky smiles.

With every hobble I will think of him this weekend; think of his kindness and his tenderness towards me.

Love. I'm so lucky to have love in my life.

No comments: