Monday 26 April 2010

Sad, sad stuff

I read a newspaper article last week about a young 21 year old girl who killed herself after being rejected for 200 jobs (Mirror: 23/4/2010)

She "took a drug overdose a day after receiving yet another "No" letter following an interview". She left a note for her parents and boyfriend saying: "I don't want to be me anymore. Please don't be sad. I want everybody in my life to be HAPPY".

Oh Vicky I am sad. She was applying for a dozen jobs a week her mother said, including shop work, waitressing, stacking shelves and becoming a dinner lady, all jobs that I did when I was younger.

She has gone now. Not gone to Europe to seek her chances and send postcards home. Not flown to Asia or anywhere else. She has gone, gone for good.

My thoughts go out to her family and friends.

My label goes to "work" and "elections" because I can't articulate what needs to be articulated.

Rest in peace Vicky Harrison.

Rest in peace 16 year old Agnes Sina-Inakoju who was shot in the neck two weeks ago while in a take away shop in East London. My thoughts go out to your family and friends too.

No comments: