Thursday 21 January 2010

Don't think about it!!

Today in Boot Camp we began learning about a process that in Tai Chi is called The Seven Steps.
Today in Boot Camp, we learnt how to walk.
Going forward; quite straightforward
Going backward; quite straightforward.

Then we had to bring our arms and hands into the process.

Going forward; left leg, right arm. How hard can it be? Quite actually!
"Don't think!" I heard the master shout.
Oh my mental motherboard...

We had to pair up. I was with Mistress Mountain who's bloody good at all this stuff.

We face each other and walk. Seven steps forward, seven steps back, seven steps forward, seven steps back. I got this eventually.

Then the master told us the arm and hand movements for going backwards. One palm faces in, the other palm faces out, and it's to block the arm of your partner coming forward, as you walk the seven steps in tandem with one another.

I was shit. I forgot my left and right, was going in the opposite direction to Mistress Mountain, I wasn't getting it together at all!

"Stop!" shouts the Master. "It's like a dance. Can't you dance?" and he grabs a mistress and he demonstrates how you don't ballroom and how you do.

I think of that new telly programme I don't watch: So You Think You Can Dance?

Er, no. But I'm learning how to at Boot Camp!

No comments: