Wednesday 27 January 2010

What a farce....

A knock on my door and it's the caretaker. Not the Good Caretaker, he doesn't work here anymore. The privatisation of caretaking in the borough took care of that.

This nice caretaker sees that the ground floor flood is borne from my overflow and the drain is about as effectual as trying to pass concrete through a sieve.

He turns the tap off on my boiler to try and stem the flow.

Mr Grey appears, relieved that the flooding is caused by me. "I thought it was coming from the roof. I thought "oh no, the tank's burst."

Now that would be funny, er, I'm joking.

I'm chatting to these two when the owner of the property calls. She's had a call from the council who have told her they've knocked on my door and I'm not answering.

Er....

Another man wearing a sweater with 'Camden' on it appears. He calls the repair team. I interrupt telling him I've already done that, they're coming in 'less than two hours'. He asks me for the log number I was given and things flow somewhat more smoothly following this and in no time, another man comes to unblock the drain.

That drain is a disaster in this 'falls below the minimum standard' block (as said by Tory councillor at last week's meeting) so let's hope my boiler doesn't overflow again....

In between these times my support worker has come, making me angry and my landlady has called on and off and on and off and on and off.

Her plumber can come tomorrow morning at 9.30. I told her I wouldn't be in until 1 (sitting in on my son's class music lesson you see, followed by Bazza's Boot Camp).

"There's something at my son's school," I said, knowing that she would think an exercise class the biggest self indulgence.

"Well you'll just have to decide what's more important."

"You always say that, make me choose between my son and plumbing problems" (Little did she know she was getting my own riled over chat with housing support worker over spill).

Sometimes her partner calls and tell's me "that's life" to miss things, like erm, just now.

Council, Housing Association (no point calling them this morning), Owner. Council, Housing Association, Owner.

It is a farce of course, though makes me think I should perhaps do a course on 'writing for comedy'.

For never mind you, I need entertaining...

No comments: