Saturday 9 January 2010

The Road

I didn't sleep yesterday, I finished The Road which I restarted earlier in the week, having abandoned it in the summer. I retraced harrowing steps guided and pulled by the beauty of the sentences.

I read in a snowy landscape this time but there were still contrasts as I turned the pages. Lying on my sofa, looking out of the window from this prostrate position, I could only see blue sky, a sky that has all but disappeared in this novel.

It's an astonishing book. Nature is as harsh and violent as our own human nature has the capacity to be. It is also able to nurture and protect in the same way we can.

McCarthy's writing is exquisite, pure poetry. Love and hope enough to make you ache.

I do not fear the end of the world if my son is with me
I fear the end of the world if my son is not
I hope I'll know how to protect him
This is a book about Love

I recommend it if you haven't turned the pages yet yourself.

No comments: