Wednesday 6 January 2010

Oh the snow when I asked for it!!

Terror gripped my heart last night. Oh no, you crap mother, you crap crap mother... the boy's got no wellies....

Five minutes up the heath the snow would permeate his trainers and oh dear, didn't want to think the consequences of that.... so I asked the World not to let it snow until midday today.

The World didn't listen and down fell the snow as I watched celeb big bro. So I went to bed and asked the World that it melt by morning then start again in the afternoon.

It hadn't melted but, but but but, I went online to the school's website and saw that there'd be no day off for my son today. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Can get the wellies!!

Dropped him off and his teacher said they might close the school at 1pm but would call me if so. It was sleeting, neither snow nor rain, but I walked, rather than take Zat, into Camden. Twas a ghost town. The bespoke kiddy shop that I never knew existed was closed and I was told the owner might not come in at all.

None of the sport shops sold wellies, not even that big one which is ironically where our one-stop-shop Woolworth's used to be. In M&S a woman offered to phone the flagship store in Marble Arch to see if they had some. They did! But not in my son's size.

I was so close to the bus stop for a trip 'into town' that I thought 'needs must' and jumped on a C2.

I got a pair of wellies in John Lewis and a lovely fleecy top for my boy reduced in the sales. Wasn't bright enough to get myself a pair though was I? No. Instead I got seduced into Top Shop and bought a pair of lovely dark green court type shoes reduced from £60 to £15!! When was the last time I bought a pair of shoes? I don't honestly remember...2008? Very exciting! A high heel but thick enough for me to cycle in when the weather dries up! Oh pretend to be glam!

Then the school rang and said the school was closing at 12.45 so I raced back. My boy delighted with his boots and fleece, we headed up to the heath and oh, oh oh oh, the snow fell, thick! We walked with our heads back and mouths open to eat the flakes, threw snowballs at one another, got to kite hill and whizzed down on our compost sacks. Bliss!

School's out tomorrow. In London the snow doesn't last too long, but tonight I'll ask for one more day or maybe two...

Me, my boy and Hampstead Heath. The perks of being a stay at home mother. The perk of being a Stigmum.

2 comments:

PippaD said...

I love this post, it is just lovely.

And bargin on the shoes!

Stigmum said...

Aw thanks mamma! Yes, the shoes! I thought, ooh should get a black pair too at that price incase I get a job interview but fate intervened... they didn't have my size!!