Saturday 16 January 2010

Online dating when you're depressed

It is possibly not the best idea to sign to up to a dating site when one's life is a mess.

Firstly of course, you may not want a relationship. Such are the priorities in your life, you may have neither the time, nor the resources.

You may meet a person and they in turn may think you want rescuing, are too needy, and run a mile.

You may meet a person and they in turn do not mind that your life is a mess. You in turn, run a mile.

This is my experience anyway.

The first time, in 2006, I wrote "I am not looking for anyone or anything." If I can find this old profile, I'll go into 'edit' and put it all in for you.

My profiles then became more quirky. In 2007 I wrote:

Love, that many splendoured thing, has eluded me in cyberspace but it's alright for I'm happy talking, you know happy talk. However, I know that somewhere over the rainbow I have all my life to live, I have all my love to give, but what do I want, do I really really want?
Friendship and knee trembling passion. Are you man enough? Boy I'll be a woman soon.

I changed it again in 2008, I have changed it again now.

I will not transpose this profile just yet. I will see who I attract. As above, so far when I contact someone, they do not reply!

This is ok. This is the point. Many of us are frightened of a real relationship. Real relationships are hard and many of us have got hurt.

It is my last foray into online dating. I have bought myself a month's subscription. I still like to believe in fate and destiny, would you believe. I might not meet the man for me for some time.

Very little is stable in my life, you know that. I am seeking stability for my son. After this, I will seek stability for myself. Probably starting with a job, but that's different to starting with a home.

These cyber males do not know that but they will discover it. Some might stay, others will definitely go. I'll don't know what I'll do with those who wish to stay.

I do not think I will post about the dates I go on. But I will post what I get from them. I will post what I might learn.

That's the thing with online dating. It's a fantastic opportunity to learn something about yourself. It can prepare you for the risks involved of true self discovery - with someone real.

I find that quite scary. Do you find it scary too?

No comments: