Wednesday 27 January 2010

I'm flooding Papier Mache Towers

As I type, the overspill from my boiler is gushing out water on to the balcony.

The drain on our balcony, quite unhelpfully, is blocked, but then what do you expect in a Papier Mache Tower?

The water has swirled round, dangerously and perilously close to The Toilet shaft and is raining down on all the other floors below. I shouldn't say this but it's quite a beautiful waterfall, the droplets twinkling as they catch the light of this day.

I called the owner of the property as soon as I noticed, which was 8.30 am as I nipped out for my morning cigarette.

As soon as I'd done the school run I put an urgent call into the council. As I waited in the queue system, the landlady called me back, telling me to turn down my heating. I couldn't; I can't walk around with my landline, I don't want to lose connection with the council.

Had a beginning of an argy bargy with her as she said my heating was on too high. I told her these are draughty flats, 'too high' isn't high enough, but I have it on a timer, it's never on for long.

After what felt like AGES, I got through to the council's repairs division and have logged the blocked drain.

"I've put a call through with our contractors, Camden's Building Maintenance. Someone will come in the next two hours."

"Two hours?! They need to come now! What if it goes down the lift shaft, what if it hits electricals, it's already out of control!"

I spoke to the owner of the flat, and her plumber may come tonight. Tonight?

To think she only had the boiler and immersion replaced last month.

It's still gushing out, an hour and a half later, like the pressure of cold water tap when you're running a bath. Oh Lord.......

It'll be all my fault. All my fault. All of it; the overspill, the blocked drain, the flooded Tower.

What can you do ey? Except perhaps blog about it....

No comments: