Wednesday 10 March 2010

The Boxer - a song

I am just a stigmum
Though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance
For a pocket full of emails such are promises
All lies and jests
Still a mum hears what she wants to hear
And disregards the rest

When I left my home and my family
I was no more than a girl
In the company of strangers
In the quiet of the railway station running scared
Laying low, seeking out the richer countries
Where some ragged people go
Looking for the places only dreams would know

La la li ...

Asking only whatever wages
I come looking for a job
But I get no offers,
Just a come-on from the men along the boulevard
I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome
I thought of comfort there

La la la la ...

Now the years are rolling by me, they are rockin' even me
I am older than I once was, and younger than I'll be, that's not unusual
No it isn't strange, after changes upon changes, I am more or less the same
After changes with my son I am the same ...

La la li....

Now I'm laying out my winter clothes
And wishing I was gone
Going Home
Where the system I am caught in is not bleeding me
Bleeding me, going Home

In the clearing stands a stigmum
And a fighter by her trade
And she carries the reminders
Of ev'ry glove that layed her down
Or cut her till she cried out
In her anger and her shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains ooh ooh ooh oooh

(Simon & Garfunkel featuring Stigmum The Boxer)

No comments: