Wednesday 28 July 2010

Tut tut....

Hmmm, long explanatory post about today's call from the social worker. Yes, she called! Coincidence eh?!

Asking my son after the weekend what kind of conversations he had with his dad, the boy replied that all his dad wanted to know about was Kay.

"Kay?" Who the feck is Kay?

"The woman who came to our house mummy and asked if I liked school."

"Oh her, what's he been saying?"

"He keeps asking me about her and I keep saying I don't want to talk about it."

"She didn't say that much did she? Why's he asking you?" And we moved on to different conversations.

Yesterday when New Support Worker was round, I mentioned that his manager had called the social services who'd come round, asked my son if he liked school, told me to get him ready to leave it, so the fact that she'd said she'd call "tomorrow" and didn't was pretty welcome actually; I had no indication she was acting in the best interests of my child.

Today I'm chatting with Manny (his word! He's a male nanny to my son's friend) and because the eviction is right at the top end of my frontal labotamy at the moment, it doesn't take me long to start talking about it. Shit, in the end, I find myself giving him a detailed history.

"The last time I was evicted I had a small army. I had a shrink, a doctor, a social worker, a councillor, a priest and they still shoved us in a hostel. This time I'm on my own. No shrink, no doctor, the social worker's bailed, no councillor has gone out on a limb for us and it's not a church evicting us." Trying to be positive I said: "Maybe I have a couple of local papers but that's for something different."

I'm chatting to him about the Foca, his text and the Foca's conversation with my son about the social worker when my phone rings with "withheld" on it. I'm hoping it's the council inviting me to view a property in the morning.

"Hi Sue it's Kay."
"Oh hi Kay." To think, prior my son talking about it I'd forgotten who the hell she was.
"I was wondering if I could come and see you at some point."
"Er maybe. You told me you were going to call me "tomorrow" a month ago, what happened?"
"I called you. I left a message on your phone."
"Did you?" Quite stunned. "What phone did you leave it on? My landline or my mobile?"
"Your mobile, it's the only number I have for you."
"I didn't get a call on my mobile or a message."
"That's odd, I did leave one."
"Did you really? I don't think so."
"Will you be in if I come on Monday..."

I couldn't fucking believe it. Why couldn't she say she forgot? Why couldn't she say New Support Worker called her, or whatever happened for her to call me?

She is the professional, I am the parasite, if I complained no-one would believe me. Thank goodness Manny was with me, vouch for me as I tell you, crikey.

I'll tell you what though, I've not told my son she's coming, he'll be away when she does.

I'm certainly not telling the Foca about her, but I might tell her about him.

Will she help me and my child second time round?

Oh and I'm still rubbish at picking up messages on my landline so if this was a quiz....

It's not a quiz though is it? It's our lives...

No comments: