Wednesday 28 July 2010

New support worker isn't dead!

My new support worker called me yesterday afternoon. "Where are you? I'm standing outside your block. I sent you a letter at No 44 but there's no answer."
"That's because I don't live there..."

He didn't come last week because he forgot.

I offered him a cup of tea which is what I do when people come round, and he accepted.

It didn't take long for my heckles to rise while we were talking, mainly because he was talking over me and what he was talking over me about was the borough's housing crisis, like I don't know there is one. rrrrah.

I was so exasperated I showed him the article I wrote in the local paper a couple of weeks ago, opened it up on the page.

"Where.... oh, it's quite a big one."

I hung out the window with Nico Teen while he took it in.

Things took a turn for the better after that. He couldn't believe my lease ends next week and I've been told diddly squat about where we're going, never mind when.

He put a call in to the council.

"..... and she's so angry she's written an article in the Ham & High!"

Oh my gosh, I wanted to laugh, but it's not funny is it stiggers.... I didn't tell him I might have one coming in the Camden New Journal but that's because I don't know for sure. Bit more scathing of council policies that one..... and no, I didn't tell him about you stiggers and our blogspot cave...I dread to think what they'd do to me if they found out about that....

The council said they'd heard nothing from the housing association and suggested he called there.

He rang Pathmeads who said I wasn't on their system!! I'd say 'who'd adam and eve it?!' but that's what they told me at Christmas about my possession order until the Property Owner called them so I believe it.

My bailiff's order is still with the courts, no-one knows when it's coming but when it does I have "two to three weeks" to get out.

"That's not much," I said. "They've known about me for over a year and a half and they're going to treat me like a fucking emergency."

He talked about the new difficulty with the private rental scheme now the government has cut benefits.. Landlords might not be prepared to take the homeless at a reduced rate.

"They'll look at what's available but probably put you in a family hostel."

I flew into my psychotic rage, said I had on paper that I would be given a two bed temporary flat. Thing is, and I didn't say this to him, I don't have on paper that they'll aim to keep my son in his school. I told him I'd bid on four properties this week. Four. In This Area.

We were talking over a fence. He on one side saying there were hundreds of people waiting, one family for 13 years but then said they were spanish and so I told him everyone was entitled but I was hacked off because of all the hundreds of people who had gone before us.

Never mind green grass, it's a question of perspective and he understood mine as well as I understood his.

I often have good conversations with people in the council but it never helps my son. He asked me how my boy was doing at school and I read out his report.

He said he would see what he could do. It's all I needed to hear. Well, actually, not quite...

As he left I said: "Tell the council my flat was really tidy today!"

He said: "It's none of my business."

Oh mate, thank you for saying that!"

Good job my son and I were home when he called and not in the Maldives, we'd have been struck off the register. When he did call my son was in the bedroom playing on his psp and I'd passed out on the sofa, sleeping. I was dreaming of David Cameron! I know! Nothing oooer. In the dream we were shaking hands!

I have to keep dreaming.

No comments: