Friday 8 October 2010

Answers in a magazine

My Pathmeads housing officer couldn't tell me what to expect with this bailiff's order, but as luck would have it, I got sent a magazine yesterday and there's a little section called "Ask Althea".

I could be the questioner but the response is all I need to know. Well, no, not all I need to know, but more than I currently do. Here it is, of value to you if you are ever evicted by a housing association (which from the bottom of my heart, I hope never):

Q: The lease on my property comes to an end in four weeks time, do I wait to be told when to move out or should I move out now?

A: Please do not move out. If the property owner does not renew the lease with us we will apply for an eviction appointment from the County Court. We will do this about a month after the lease ends (thanks for telling me) and will advise both you and the local authority that nominated you when this happens.

The court will take between six and eight weeks to schedule the appointment and they will give you at least seven days notice (oh wow, loads of time). We will be informed by the court at the same time as you will so we will not be able to notify you any earlier. We will also inform the council of the eviction date and check whether or not they still have a housing duty to rehouse you. If they do, alternative accommodation will be provided by the local authority.

On the day of eviction, you are required to leave all your belongings (what?) so it is important that you start packing and preparing as early as possible. Please remember to leave the property clean and tidy and return all keys and utility cards to us. You can always contact your housing officer for more information (can I? He didn't respond to my call last week...)

Seven days

At some point, I'll be given seven days.

All my stuff that was put in storage when I moved in here will be released.

I do not know where we are going. I do not know what to prepare for.

Forgive me oh social workers if I find this stressful.

I am abusing my son? Or is it a system abusing both of us?

No comments: