Tuesday 12 October 2010

"Social cleansing"

The committee meeting in the House of Commons yesterday was music to my ears.

To sit in on a meeting about economics - I wouldn't understand
To sit in on a meeting about health and education - I'd struggle.
To sit in on a meeting about housing?
I get it! I got it! I understood every word.

"It might be too strong a word but I'm going to use it anyway," said a councillor from my borough. "Social cleansing is what is happening here."

Yes. The meeting dominated by cuts to housing benefit. Why not put a cap on what landlords charge? asked the priest.

Over half a million families will be made homeless by the coalitions cuts.
Those very families forced into the private sector will be forced out again, forced out of their communities, turning their childrens' education upside down. Ah yes, I'm already there.

"We need brave people to come forward with their testimonies," said the priest. Bravery. My heart began to bang. My right hand went involuntarily to calm it.

They came from all over the country. After Camden said its piece, Winchester spoke, Norwich spoke. Selling council stock, demolishing homes, growing waiting lists. It's not pretty.

The Camden lot went out for a photoshoot - the councillor, the union rep, the estate respresentative. I stayed behind, feeling almost like I shouldn't be there.

My arm rose. My hand remained gently risen my heart banging away.

The priest saw it, nudged the MP for Great Grimsby who was chairing the meeting.

"I, I sent a postcard to the coalition in July asking that £283 million be returned to Camden. I haven't had a reply yet." A gentle laugh filled the atmosphere.
"I er, I sent a copy of it to Ed Miliband this morning. I've asked him to read it out. In my covering letter I said his constituency is elsewhere and elsewhere in the country a catastrophe is unfolding. You all know.."

I don't remember much after that. I didn't mention my son though. I didn't mention me. I mentioned only that it could kick start a much needed opposition my country was begging for.

No comments: