Thursday 7 October 2010

Not letting go of the postcard

Email: 7th Oct 2010

Subject: The 'postcard' I told you about; a better idea

Dear [Housing Councillor],

It was great to meet you last Friday at your surgery. I want to thank you again for implicitly understanding what I desire for my son, because no-one else does.
This email however, is about the postcard, not the deep and desperate desire to securely house my child without effecting his education nor the unjust policy of our not being awarded points for insecure housing because we're statutorily homeless.

[Housing Councillor], get Ed Miliband to read out the postcard! The idea came to me as I cycled my son home after talking to you.

Mr Miliband would be perfect! Mr Miliband could say that yes, he lives in the borough but his constituency is elsewhere and elsewhere there is a massive housing crisis that needs to be addressed. The coalition is blindly eradicating state social housing not realising that for millions, it is the platform back to work and off benefits. Capping housing benefits is not the answer. Mr Miliband has already said New Labour made mistakes which this renewed Labour is going to redress. Housing is a fantastic start because it's been ignored for years!

[Housing Councillor], [Council Leader] is a father in my son's playground. I originally asked his blessing to put his name on my postcard. He said yes, (but in the event there were only so many names I could put on that little bit of card) It is also a coincidence that he is Labour.

[Housing Councillor], I'm basically asking you, and Mr Dobson, to use me to access that money.

I am apolitical. I am an ordinary citizen and Mr Miliband could use this fact too. I've written to David Cameron three times. I met Nick Clegg in the offices of the Ham and High (how could he forget that!). All of this so recently too! Mr Miliband would come out of this unscathed because I am asking for the money. I am the one who looks stupid if the borough doesn't get it.

Please ask Mr Dobson to ask Mr Miliband to read out the postcard, or at least the three of you have a discussion about it. It is a small part of a greater problem and housing is so very topical at the moment. And let's be honest, in recent history, no-one has sent a postcard. The very nature of these little cards is they get lost under piles of envelopes and letters. I have a copy of it but I don't want it to be left too late.

What do you reckon [Housing Councillor]?

Kind regards,

Sue de Nim

No comments: