Monday 4 October 2010

Changing one's mind isn't optional

Thursday morning, 9.15 am, text to support worker:

Hi [], I had questions for the flat not answered so should have agreed to see it. Was scared of making a decision on the spot that would detriment [my son]. Still am if honest but should see it. Can I still? Tried to call but your phone's off. Sue.

An hour later, no answer. I go to the hairdresser, flip it's like a little prayer room for me at the moment, and ask if I can just sit a minute. Supermario's assistant tells me to go to the housing office and call support worker from there.

I do that. Knackered I curl on the chair provided and cradle the phone, waiting to be connected.

He tells me the flat has 'gone'. That the council has acted within its legal requirement. That they can't hold properties 'indefinitely'. That those who 'consistently turn down properties' won't be helped. I tell him I don't 'consistently turn properties down' as I don't 'consistently' see any. No energy left in my voice. I submit.

He later sends me a text to my previous one:

Don't worry about it now, just make sure you see the next offer

What's the next offer? A hostel? I send one last text:

Thanks, I totally understand that but can't help being scared 4 [my son] His party is on sat so will breathe & concentrate on that cos haven't been.
Take care

Later found out the councillor in charge of housing was holding a surgery the following evening.

They say men can compartmentalize their thoughts better than women.

White Nights.

No comments: