Monday 4 October 2010

A party miracle!

I did it! Against so many odds, I gave my son a successful party!!

Seeing the children stuffed full of balloons under their oversized clothes was just too funny, especially with the Benny Hill theme tune accompanying them. I so wish I'd had a camera.

In two teams they really went for the 'up and under' balloon race, with one child passing it over their heads to the child behind passing it over through their legs.

Musical bumps and statues, oh the competition was fierce!

I even got some food into them, albeit forgetting to put down any plates before hand, but hey, that's all part of the miracle that the whole thing happened in the first place!

Although I was listening to R Kelly's I'm the World's Greatest when I got home that evening (oh to sing that to housing success...) with a swollen heart of happiness, I cannot take even half the credit.

If my mate Charlie hadn't agreed to be DJ, for nothing
If Issy hadn't offered to bake the cake and my brother going to collect it off her an hour before the party started because she was too ill to deliver it
If the mum I rarely speak to in the playground hadn't come out of absolutely nowhere and taken charge of sandwich making/running to shop for fruit and squash/ running home to get thread to tie balloons together as I pumped what the children would later fight with and stamp on and play football with and fence with
If decks and disco lights hadn't been provided by the woman who hires out the hall, for a fantastic mid afternoon disco like feel

Angels were surely out in force that day, surely were.

I'd told my boy no party because of housing troubles, then changed my mind and thought goddammit no, I will inject some joy into our horror limbo situation.

And I did it. My boy beaming from ear to ear, with all his little mates, no space or time to remember we were in the midst of imminent eviction.

My mate Charlie gave my son the cd of all the music he picked out. Dr Who and the Jackson 5, Star Wars and Ottawa. A real treat for me I can tell you, now the moment's gone.

Thank you everyone who made it happen! xxxx

No comments: