Friday 22 October 2010

Quoting the unquotable

"Registered social landlords tell us that what would be the greatest catalyst for them to build homes is to allow rents for new tenants to drift up to something like 80% of market rents. They say that would give them the guaranteed revenue stream in order to invest to build new homes. People on low pay on those new rents will be compensated in full through housing benefit." Nick Clegg (Guardian online 22 Oct)

Social Housing
Biggest shakeup in decades 'will hit most vulnerable' ( Guardian 21 Oct, p 7 of it's CSR pull out)

"Cuts on this scale will come as a devastating blow to the millions of low-income families currently stuck on housing waiting lists." David Orr, chief executive of the National Housing Association.

"65% of social housing tenants are on benefits. So new tenants need to be better off than current ones, otherwise rent increases will simply add to the benefits fall." Richard Parker, head of housing at consultants Pwc.

Mr Parker, are you telling me I'm fucked?

"Overall families with children seem to be the biggest losers." James Browne, IFS analyst.

"Nick Clegg accuses IFS of 'distorted nonsense'" (Guardian headline 22 Oct)

Mr Clegg, I wish you'd told me I'd be fucked back in February when I asked for your help.

I'm tempted to accuse you of the same thing.

No comments: